Sunday 8 August 2010

The Top 5 Digital Artists/Illustrators in Malta

These are in my opinion, the best 5 digital illustrators in Malta right now (listed in no particular order), if you have any other suggestions please leave them in the comment section below.

Matthew Grima Connell
I've known Matthew Grima Connell for a couple of years (although mostly online). He started with clean illustrations and now has evolved his own style of artwork which has only gotten better and better throughout the years. Lately he has also produced some amazing animation work. Check out his website here his Deviant Art account here and his Youtube account here.

My personal favourite: Out in Lake Mistybank
Luca Cauchi
Luca Cauchi was actually one of my students in the second semester at MCAST Art & Design and his works were hard to miss. His style is very much like game concept art and visualisations and shows an impeccable eye for detail.

Street Alley
Lisa Falzon
I went to Lisa's early traditional art exhibitions in Valletta when I was still a student at MCAST. I remember being fascinated by her characters, each one of them seemingly a part of some secret story. Since then she has also started making digital artworks which are made up of digital collage and intricate brush work. According to her website she is now living in Ireland, but she still makes the list. Lisa's website and her Etsy Shop which has some amazing stuff :)

A Mould for Champagne Glasses
Mark Scicluna
Mark Scicluna's style is very much a mixture of traditional caricature with modern cartoons. One thing is for certain, this guy has certainly found an identity in his works which are constantly getting stronger and funnier!
Check out more of his work here

One of his book illustrations

Derek Fenech
I found Derek Fenech recently and randomly during one of my Facebook procrastination moments. I was mesmerised by his digital artworks which are a mix of street art and also for some reason remind me of spanish / southern american contemporary illustration. More of his works can be found on his website

The God of War


Make sure to also check out Ivan Saliba who is an exceptional 3D artist and animator, as well as Chris Bianchi a great illustrator who currently lives in London (I'm still not sure if his works are traditional / digital) 

(This list excludes 3D artists, manga illustrators, vector illustrators and obviously traditional illustrators)

6 comments:

  1. <3 <3 Thanks a bunch for featuring me. I have great respect for the other artists posted about here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need for thanks :) if you know of any other local digital artists leave links here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting work, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just had to include links to works of Ivan Saliba and Chris Bianchi (suggested by my friend Olivia) only because their work is so good, however not sure if Ivan's work is entirely 3D and vector, and still checking whether Chris Bianchi's work is traditional or digital. Either way, check out their websites (bottom of post)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Really good work...
    Prosit Moira 4 the initiative...
    When I'm done from my Looonnggg Essay, I'll try to do something myself...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Louis :D
    I can't plan things for when I'm done with the long essay because it feels like it will never be haha

    ReplyDelete