Thursday 9 September 2010

3D Food

So I'm not much of a 3D kinda person, in fact I have been fighting 3D for a long time. I used 3D Studio Max at MCAST, then Maya at UKC where I even went as far as to model a whole realistic looking character and painfully  creating a UV map for it! So now I got this Cinema 4D software which has so far been the easiest out of the 3 I have tested.

Have now had intense training thanks to my employers and I can now honestly say I love 3D. The great thing about 3D is that you can create abstract visuals and control lighting, shadows and cameras in such a flexible way. These can then be incorporated with other graphic elements such as posters and illustrations; gotta love mixed media. I might be posting some easy Cinema 4D tutorials here soon.

Here are a couple of my test newbie renders that I did during my training:

The Lonesome teacup with an expensive looking teabag
Terracotta biscuits? Yes please!

Cakes, tables, lathes, splines, architecture materials that look like food

Capsules and Arrays make beautiful Jello

Volumetric lighting, just can't get enough, and some cloth introduced

Global Illumination and Depth of Field.. and now the modelling is starting to look crappy :)

Anyone hungry yet?

6 comments:

  1. Nice Moira, its cool to see you're doing 3D work. The last images remind me of the Oreo biscuits (you know those really delicious yummy biscuits!) - now I'm hungry!! =)

    Keep it up, and see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard doing 3D work because it is way out of my comfort zone, but of course that is the best thing of all. I only hope I have enough time to exploit it more and mix it up with other media.

    See you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah totally agree with you - I'm sure you'll do great.

    Did you start school? I think we're going to start on the 4th of October...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you do,

    I started on the 1st

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Start. A handy tip if you move to animated stuff. Never render the motion blur or DOF in your 3D software. Always do a multi-pass export incl. a Z-Depth and Motion Vector pass, and add those effects in post. If I knew that from the start it would have saved me weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Martin,

    As you can see I got started with Cinema4D and haven't gotten stuck so far because I've had lecturers to help me, but now I'm on my own so.. issa naraw heheh

    Thanks for the tip, I have been experimenting with animation but haven't produced anything worth rendering so far. I'll keep this in mind then, what happens if I render the 2 options in the 3d software? super slow?

    ReplyDelete