Thursday 30 September 2010

Abigail Daker's Illustrations: Nemnem & The Giant

Oh WOW it's been a while!

While I was reading the 11th issue of "Digital Artist", I stumbled onto a very interesting article entitled "Successful Illustration: Leading illustrators share their best secrets with Poz Watson". However whilst reading the interest in previous writing dimished greatly as I laid my eyes on a particular paragraph:
"Abi Daker
Children's illustrator
www.abigaildaker.com

The relationship between children's illustrators and authors is really important. Based in Cyprus, Abi works with authors from all over the world and has to achieve the unity of purpose needed via email. "Some authors have very specific ideas about their characters, others are more interested in seeing what I visualise after reading their test," she says. But al the authors she's worked with have been helpful: "John Betts (who wrote Nemnem And The Giant) provided me with aerial photos of Malta and went to photograph one site so I could get the background right."
Digital Artist Issue 11th, page 36


With that being said, below is one of the three pictures shown on her website regarding such a project. Blogger is being a retard on picture sizing so here's a direct link for the rest: http://abidaker.com/2010/06/07/nemnem-the-giant/

2 comments:

  1. This is great, I also really like the other blue-ish illustration. Have you heard about 'Like bees to Honey?' the book about some Maltese woman who left Malta and then goes back and starts drinking beer with Jesus and seeing ghosts? I'm still reading it... it's interesting but dragging at times. Really love the illustration of the cover though:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0007356366/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've seen it in Agenda! Didn't have the money to buy it back then though, will probably get it soon though!

    What attracted me most was the cover actually. I lol'd when I saw the cisk bottle...it's the last thing you'd dream to see on a cover.

    ReplyDelete