Sunday 20 June 2010

bODY_rEMIX/gOLDBERG_vARIATIONS

A ballet in two acts, it is a combination of solos, duos, trios and group work, and uses many accessories as means for different movement and expression - “the work’s movements plumb the insoluble mystery of the body, of the living being.”



Marie Chouinard, OC (born 14 May 1955) is a Canadian dancer, choreographer, and dance company director.

Born in Quebec City, Quebec, Chouinard early developed a sensational reputation with a series of brief dance vignettes such as 1978's
Cristallisation, in which she dropped raw eggs and Danse pour un homme habillé de noir et qui porte un revolver (Dance for a man dressed in black and carrying a revolver) in 1979. In 1980, the Art Gallery of Ontario banned her because of a urination scene in Petite danse sans nom (Little dance without a name). She continued to flirt with scandal with 1981's Danseuse-performeuse cherche amoureux or amoureuse pour la nuit du 1er juin (Dancer-performer seeks male or female lover for the night of 1 June) in 1981, in which she auctioned herself off, and Marie Chien Noir in 1982, which showed masturbation.

After a successful career as a soloist, in 1990 she founded the Compagnie Marie Chouinard, in Montreal. Her company went on to tour internationally, and gain accolades. Notable were her performance of Rite of Spring, set to the score of Stravinsky and accompanied by Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, a short performance set to the music of Debussy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for not expanding much upon the video, but I'm due for a colonoscopy in a few hours, and I've found this on facebook by pure chance. It kept me glued to my chair for the entire duration, and rushed to share this.

    Hope it'll do for the time being, until I'll be able to get back to the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly very interesting. Even though to be honest I don't really follow this sort of stuff, it does give you some food for thought. I love how they manage to move so well and keep it all flowing even with crutches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much into dance but I find that experiencing stuff I'm not into gives me a better perspective and insight into the projects I would be working on.

    I don't think it's healthy to keep on feeding yourself stuff you're already comfortable with - there's no growth involved in that process.

    ReplyDelete