Monday 21 June 2010

Overused

Now I have nothing against brushes, but guys there are plenty of great brushes around. Here are some two cool sites http://qbrushes.net/ and http://www.brusheezy.com/ I find it so strange that everyone keeps using the same brushes (smoke brush much?) 

The smoke brush; such a beautiful brush yet so overused. I must have seen it in at least 10 different projects this year. Of course I’m guilty of using the same brushes too sometimes, especially when it’s a quick job (such as the title of this blog!) but take your time when using brushes, there are plenty of good ones around, keep looking, you can never have enough brushes and enough typefaces. Of course it’s so much better if you can create your own, but let’s talk about typefaces now.


This hurts my eyes

Overused typefaces… we’ve all seen them, and we’ve all used them (well not all of them I hope). Guys, avoid falling in love with a typeface and using it over and over again. Find a home for your typeface, on it’s special little poster/ website and leave it there. For your next project, find a new one! There are plenty of overused typefaces, but here’s a list of the ones I see the most:
Again I admit, I have used some of these before, but after seeing them being used everywhere it's kind of hard to appreciate them, even if they are nicely composed with the image. (Helvetica is excused... only sometimes!) Well then, any others you'd like to add?

PS: For the record, the "Overused" banner above was created in a few mins using this guide: http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-cool-wet-ink-typography-effect-in-photoshop
The brushes suggested are actually pretty interesting if used correctly :)



7 comments:

  1. Sup Moira?

    Totally right. I don't like type that much, but I do have to use it sometimes. Nowadays, in my opinion, people have such an idea that the Times New Roman is overused that many people are not using it at all... quite strange. That Algerian!!! NOOOO! its so overused. :)

    Regarding brushes, there is no such thing as doing your own. I have got couple of brushes from some of my friends but in the end making your own will make YOUR stroke on a painting. At least in my case, I use brushes to actually paint, not for cool smoke effects. I highly recommend that artists create their own. Its fun to do and experiment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well when you work in design you have to form a good relationship with type. Good typography is enough to make something work, check this out: http://jalamag.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/good-typography.jpg and this: http://i37.tinypic.com/bf45y8.jpg

    I like hand rendered typography the most, takes a bit of time but so worth it.

    The brushes I mention here are not really for digital drawing and rendering, but more to add effect to graphic work. Really it only takes a minute to use an actual brush and make a few splatters and strokes, scan them and turn them into digital brushes, and it's so much more satisfying using unique brushes of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh algerian is like...the WORST font ever to be made. I mean, look at those crappy letters...they just scream "lolno" in your face. Some people still need to discover dafont.com

    I used the brusheezy.com in my assignment actually, it was an invaluable source of brushes. I mean OK you can make your own, but then again I think there is a difference between putting them there to make them look pretty (and making it totally obvious what did you do, which is a bad thing) and actually using them in different means and manners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true Moira, internet makes people lazy! :)

    by the way, the link isn't working...

    I agree hand rendered typography is much better - or much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had written a nice long comment, obviously to start a debate or discussion, but I've decided it's not worth the hassle.

    Moira, you know me enough to know what I think about the whole matter.

    Tools are tools, and the correct spanner size works in the correct context. There are no "wrong" tools, only ones which don't apply in that situation.

    At any rate, this post made me smile if anything, especially the self-irony with regards to the title graphic header of the blog :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course Emerson, a good designer can use any typeface and do something with it to make it work. This post was meant for students who are too lazy to download new typefaces. Would be interesting if you could link to a few projects where these typefaces were used and they actually worked in the context. How about this one:

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HqSDUXkHGSk/SD0yq2c7qpI/AAAAAAAAAH0/QqLkSIMBsRg/s400/GoDiegoGo.jpg :)

    ReplyDelete